Tuesday 12 March 2024

[cobirds] Yard list questions: How many of CO's 520 species have been seen (or heard) from a yard?

Hi COBirders,
 
My yard list stands at 205.
 
I have lived on Long Pond in north Larimer since 1994 and have been obsessively keeping a list since that time.
 
Best bird would have to be an adult male Cerulean Warbler (accepted by the CBRC.) Another good warbler was Cape May. 

Biggest "ugh" bird a jaeger sp. that I saw just as it was leaving the lake.
 
My most recent addition is a Winter Wren that I started seeing and hearing in January of this year and is still around.
 
I have had a lot of good birds in my yard that many of you have come to see including a Sagebrush Sparrow in March 2021 and a couple of rare hummingbirds from years back including Anna's and Ruby-throated (MOB).
 
Interesting birds include an adult Trumpeter Swan with yellow legs that had to be from a population frequently seen in Yellowstone. And a lone Sandhill Crane standing on the shore of the lake.
 
Biggest misses include White-winged Scoter (13 were here at one time but I did not see them because I was out of the country) and Black-legged Kittiwake found by Tony Leukering which I also missed being out of the country again!

I have had Surf Scoters more than a few times (last ones were an adult male in breeding plumage with a female) and Black Scoter just once. Tundra Swan is missing. How have I missed Tundra Swan??
 
Probably most strange is Thick-billed Longspur (photos.)
 
A dark phase Broad-winged Hawk that hung around for a while that Dave Leatherman got to see was a beautiful bird.
 
A Bewick's wren (poor photos) is always good in Larimer County.
 
And finally, a Black Brant eating grass in my backyard was seen by many after it flew back to the ice and went to sleep with all the regular geese. Incidentally, the folks that got to see that Brant were all here to see a wintering Pine Warbler at my feeder! 
------------------------------
Rachel Kolokoff Hopper


No comments:

Post a Comment