Tuesday 12 March 2024

[cobirds] Yard Birds recap Louisville, Boulder County

What a great question from Thomas Heinrich!  Here’s my recollections:

 

How long been keeping my list (in Colorado): 14 years

What's your style of yard listing: casual/attentive
How many species?   148
Rarest, or favorite species?  American Goshawk TWICE 
Most memorable experience? For sure, the two sightings of the marvelous Goshawk that appeared on my back fence in March of 2010.  I was so shocked that I couldn’t even gather my wits to get a photo.  And when I turned to get my binocs, it was gone.  But by the size, the heavy superciliary line above the eye. it just couldn’t be anything else.  Then in December 2011, I was at the breakfast table looking out over my deck, and there it was again!  Only this time, about 15 feet away from me.  I knew not to get up and get the camera and really didn’t need the binocs to see all the details.  It was NOT a cooper’s hawk, which I see occasionally.  WAY larger and again, that white superciliary line stripe and delicate vermiculation on the chest!  I was happy to read in cobirds that one had been sighted near me too!  So it wasn’t a figment of my imagination!
Location/habitat: Louisville, Boulder County, suburban neighborhood but a block off an open space.

No comments:

Post a Comment