Tuesday 19 April 2022

[cobirds] two different songs at one place: one species?

Ted,

Your recent post on White-throated Sparrows has 'forced' me out of my shell to mention a conundrum here at the southern end of the Front Range, especially now that Spring singing has resumed.

I hear two meadowlark songs.

We moved here in 2018. I grew up in Illinois, yet spent most of my years learning bird songs in Texas {I didn't learn much there.}

My wife grew up in Western Kansas and knows well the song of the Western Meadowlark. She recognizes it and can whistle it. {I cannot whistle at all.}

But I can listen and I can record.

When I listen, I hear two meadowlark songs. One is the typical Western Meadowlark song, the other is shortened: abrupt. I hear the two each morning and evening.

I've gone back into old recordings, to compare what I hear with what has been recorded. The closest recording I have found (yet) is Richard Webster's xeno-canto 2021 recording in Chihuahua, Mexico (XC676917). That seems to be a perfect match for what I have been calling the second song.

I do not see these birds singing the 'second' song; they are always hidden in the grass. Our grass is 12 to 24 inches high.

So, this is a conundrum.

Several months of singing are ahead. A good camera. A good camera. A license to collect birds and blood samples would be needed. And, of course, time.

David Matson
--
David Matson
La Veta, Colorado

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAM-dcqPHaTyE8tnO4_HPoFiT9WMmKvdk59Q%2BqHKxpHFO3FchtA%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment