Wednesday 27 April 2022

[cobirds] CSR banding Wednesday

Hey COBirders,

I opened banding at Clear Spring Ranch Sunday morning, but haven't had much to report, as is usual in April here. At least the 19 days of Red Flag Warnings finally ended, and I could actually OPEN nets!

Today a few more interesting birds appeared.

So far the only migrants captured had been a few Lincoln's Sparrows, and a Hermit Thrush, to join the still-wintering Gambel's White-crowned Sparrows, and 
newly arrived and probable nesting species - House Wren, and Song Sparrow.

Today I saw FOS Yellow-rumped Warblers (but not near my nets), a FOY Lark Sparrow, and a few male FOS Yellow-headed Blackbirds mixed in with hundreds of Redwings in the hay fields.

Netted were 2 FOY Wilson's Warblers (Second-year males. I've only had an earlier one once), FOY Brown Thrasher (ad male), and a SORA!  This is the second time I've had one wander into a net that parallels my "marsh" of cattails, willows, and sometimes, open water.  I'm not sure how many of you have actually seen a Sora well, and up-close, so I attached a photo in-the-hand. Pretty cool!

Happy Migration,
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs


No comments:

Post a Comment