Friday 29 April 2022

[cobirds] Song Sparrow and Cleaning up a favorite birding spot, Boulder

All:

I'll keep this on topic by saying I saw a Song sparrow while doing this last Sat at Union Res. (Boulder).  Just wanted to share that I finally got tired of looking at all the trash in my local hotspot at Union Res and decided to do something about it. I got permission from the rangers, and last Sat my wife and spent about 2.5 hours picking up trash.  The pic below may not look like much, but it was 6 bags and about 80-100lbs of garbage.  Aside from the usual suspects of cans, bottles, and plastics, we had a hair brush, a shoe (with sparkly bits!), two backpacks, balls, assorted toys, and a propane hose.  Sad part was about 80% of what we pulled out was recyclable.   You also can't see the 5 lbs of mud that filled my boot within the first 5 min.  That was fun, got stuck in the mud for a few minutes and almost pulled my foot out of the boot while trying to get out.

It seems that I see trash almost anywhere I go birding, so I decided to to a small part and clean up my local spot.  Make sure you get permission if needed, chances are a city/county/state entity will appreciate your help as they seem to be chronically understaffed and trash pick up may not be a priority.

Jay Hutchins
Longmont, CO


No comments:

Post a Comment