Tuesday 3 September 2019

[cobirds] Red Legged Raptor? Help.

About 9 AM this morning while driving through an intersection between Fort Collins and Windsor, just east of where Harmony Rd crosses I25, I saw what I would describe as a hawk, certainly a raptor, approximately raven-sized. I saw it fly upwards from near ground and perch on a light standard in bright sun, so I got a brief view of both the underside as well as of side,back and legs. My very first thought was that it was a Swainson's but it was too small. I actually stopped for 3-4 seconds in the intersection to observe it but had to leave to keep from blocking traffic.

While it flew, I believe I saw an un-banded tail underside, the back half dark with the front part lighter. When it perched I could see that the back, sides and tail were generally brownish with only a little variation. The under-wings were also bi-color, with perhaps 30% dark on the leading edge and the rest lighter with maybe a little checkering, though I'm not very sure of this.  

What stood out to me was that as I looked at it perched the legs were red.  Not just the feet either, on up for 2-3 inches where they were lost in body feathers. I regret that I couldn't take a picture because I was in the middle of the intersection and couldn't quickly get a shot.

As I'm no more than an average birder without good observational skills and relatively new  to Colorado I thought "I'll look when I get home to see what it could have been" but upon coming home and looking, nothing makes sense.   I have seen several species of hawks and falcons in western states, including various juveniles and morphs but nothing I can remember that has red legs.

Can anyone help me with what this may have been?

Glenn Elmore
Fort Collins

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CACwPyLpjbX7n6obiKO9pw%2B2GcUkNeddRv9a_%3D1kAUNE-s9-pSg%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment