Sunday 31 December 2017

[cobirds] Swans on Valmont Reservoir

Hi all -

After I was out visiting some friends, I stopped by Valmont Reservoir for a quick visit yesterday afternoon hoping to see something interesting.  On the east end of the reservoir, there were four large swans.  Tundra Swans, I thought, and tried to get better looks with my binoculars, since I had left the scope at home.  As I watched them, it looked like three of them were larger than the fourth, and the smaller one had more grey on it as well.  I couldn't see them well enough to call the larger ones Trumpeter Swans, but it seemed possible.  In the evening, while I was looking through eBird reports from the day, I noticed that a couple of other birders (Paul Bonfils and Donald Jones) had been out there as well, and both of them ID'd them as Trumpeter Swans, and Paul had a couple of pictures posted. Hopefully they will stick around for a little while so I can get back out there with a scope. 

On another note, while watching the birds that were close enough to see with binoculars, I noticed a large gull in the water in with a small flock of Coots and Hooded Mergansers.  It seemed larger than a Ring-Billed, and I couldn't make out any black on any of the feathers.  Donald Jones reported a Glaucous Gull yesterday, so I may have seen that one as well.  Once again, I was kicking myself for leaving the scope at home. 

There was also a couple of juvenile Bald Eagles in the vicinity.  The cold weather has not affected Valmont Reservoir, it didn't have any ice on it that I could see.  The forecast for today is more cold weather with a little snow, but as long as the wind stays calm, it shouldn't be too bad. 

Good Birding -

Jeff Parks
Boulder, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/3c4b689d-8f81-4f67-8c6d-2eb5b7997f6f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment