Monday 7 November 2016

[cobirds] Coping with the New Taxonomy, & How It Messed Up My Alphabet. (Long and probably not worth reading).

Fellow birders,
Although I started birding as a kid, earlyish in the last century, and was a busy birder
in the 60's and 70's, I was out in the field much less during the 80's, when nesting overwhelmed me, soon
followed by first and second cycle year off-spring, etc. So when I found time for birding again, in the 1990's, 
I realized that I needed to educate myself about the dreaded "T" word--Taxonomy! 
"Do Woodpeckers come before or after Flycatchers?" I'd ask myself. 
If your own answer is "Who cares?" it's OK to stop reading now.

I started hopped on the early part of the learning curve by studying "Non-passerines" vs "Passerines."
What a "false dichotomy!" After all, why is not the taxonomy of sporting equipment divided into "baseball bats" and "everything that is not a baseball bat?"
But, I digress.
 
As a memory crutch, I devised an alphabet of Colorado's bird families, from loons through finches, reflecting the now out-moded taxonomy of that era:

A was for loons, cormorants, and pelicans
B was for herons and egrets
C was for Ducks and Geese, 
D was for Hawks
and so on, in taxonomic order, one letter for each group.
In my own alphabetic system, I "lumped" swifts and hummers, so I would not run out of letters of the alphabet.

Fortuitously, 
G was for Gulls

P was for pipits and Phainopepla-- how nice!
Q was for vireos and warblers

S was conveniently for Sparrows,

and this alphabet ended with 
U for icterids, then
V for finches.  (For a while I had X for House Sparrows, but gave that up, trying to keep it simple).

I coped with some minor family rearrangements, as the vireos moved away from warblers
and herons and falcons were bumped around.

As an exercise, I looked at the latest (but surely not final) taxonomic arrangement of birds, and here is how my old alphabet 
went bezonkers:

C now comes first, for Ducks and Geese, followed by
E for gallinaceous birds, etc, etc.
The newest taxonomy, using my old alphabet is now:

C
E
A
I
E
F
G
A
B
D
H
I
J
D (again)
K
G
M
L
N
O
P
X
P (take a breath)
V
S
R
Q
S
T
R
U!

So there you have it, what I now call the "A C B's" of modern avian taxonomy.

Finally, so I won't be misunderstood as a taxonomic Luddite, I admire progress in avian taxonomy, feeling that advances like DNA analysis, sound recordings, etc, etc are bringing us closer and closer to "reality,"
with a better understanding of what the birds have known all along.

Joe Roller, Denver
Find me in the phone book under the "R's".  
OOPS! Are there phone books anymore?


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAJpZcUD3h09AXoZ7B%3DbVL%2BZyZKmyFOR8qmZ6On3nPDSNqqKysA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment