Thursday 16 June 2016

Re: [cobirds] Re: Bird ID question - Purple Martin?

The coloring certainly suggests Violet-green Swallow, but the lack of any green and the odd pattern on the face and the light colored head don't seem to line up with adult or juvenile Violet-green.  If it weren't for the violet back color and the fact that the birds are perched, the face suggests White-throated Swift.  Or is it a mix of Tree Swallow and Violet-green Swallow?
 
Jim Nelson
Bethesda, MD
 
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:50 PM
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Bird ID question - Purple Martin?
 
Color and overall shape indicate Violet-green Swallow.
 
Joey Kellner
Littleton, Colorado

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 1:02:14 PM UTC-6, Jeff Parks wrote:

Hello all -

I was birding in the Shanahan Ridge area outside of Boulder yesterday, and saw what I thought were swallows flitting around.  While I was watching another bird, a couple of these birds landed on a dead tree nearby, and I took a quick look at them.  They didn't look like tree swallows, although they were dark blue on the back.  I pulled out my camera and tried to get a few pictures of them while they were still there, and managed to get some, although they are not very good.  After looking at them on the computer, I am wondering if they are Purple Martins?  I have attached a few pictures which show them from different angles.  I would appreciate any feedback as to what bird this is.

PS -- since the pictures were not as good as I would have hoped, I went back this morning to see if I could get better ones,  but I was not able to find them again. 

Jeff Parks
Boulder, CO
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/2492352a-79a5-43e2-81c7-8bd899ac8770%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment