Wednesday 26 March 2014

Re: [cobirds] Re: Flycatcher?

Art, I think your statement is misguided.  The bird world is rich with the vocals of our feathered friends that sometimes leads to wonderful views, and sometimes not.   I would never pretend that the siren call I hear from a red-breasted nuthatch or bubbly melody of a yellow warbler means those birds don't exist when I don't see them.  Likewise, I can't think of many trips that I have taken where calls, songs, etc didn't lead me to interesting bird discoveries.   

I would also caution anyone about the assumption that birding is only about the proper ID as your statement implies.  Some of us enjoy the chase, some of us the listing, and some of us the experience of seeing or hearing cool wildlife (as my son would say).  I am sure there are dozens of reasons to bird and one of them for some people, I am sure, is to be able to tell what bird is making that sound irregardless of ever seeing it.

 Finally, making ID's only on vocals or only sight would make a poor ID scenario in many situations.   The fact is most determinations of anything are more sound when you are able to consider multiple sources of data.  Considering the unique nature of bird vocals it seems silly to ignore them to any extent when determining bird identity.

In the end they all count as birds whether you see them or not.

Regards,

Mark Minner-Lee
Superior, CO

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 26, 2014, at 9:56 PM, Art Hudak <donotbeconfused@comcast.net> wrote:

Bird by bird, not by sound! The bird does not exist if I do not see it! Where I live...Art Hudak Denver County

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:52:46 PM UTC-6, redstar...@gmail.com wrote:
All I can say, and this is subjective, is that the series of four to five burry notes repeated several times did not sound like a starling imitating a flycatcher. 

I queried the identification because I didn't see the bird. 

I posted it because I want other birders to be alert to the possibility of a rare bird being there. 

Paula 

Sent from my iPhone

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/873a0e55-bf57-4823-be3c-819f743d7d4e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 26, 2014, at 9:56 PM, Art Hudak <donotbeconfused@comcast.net> wrote:

Bird by bird, not by sound! The bird does not exist if I do not see it! Where I live...Art Hudak Denver County

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:52:46 PM UTC-6, redstar...@gmail.com wrote:
All I can say, and this is subjective, is that the series of four to five burry notes repeated several times did not sound like a starling imitating a flycatcher.

I queried the identification because I didn't see the bird.

I posted it because I want other birders to be alert to the possibility of a rare bird being there.

Paula

Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/873a0e55-bf57-4823-be3c-819f743d7d4e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment