Wednesday 26 February 2014

[cobirds] Ten Thousand Cranes

I just got back from a morning at the Monte Vista NWR and it was a delightful morning. I estimate there are now about 10,000 cranes in the Valley....not quite peak yet.  Add in 10,000-15,000 geese and ducks and it was amazing. (Great therapy that puts me in a better state before I tackle taxes!!!)  Bald Eagles had the birds nervous and huge flocks erupted at their approach. Most snow is gone from the Valley floor so birds are spread out. But plenty to see at the Refuge.
 
I keep looking for the leucistic crane from last year and have not yet seen it. But today, I did spy one with white secondary coverts on both sides of the bird...very unusual appearance.
 
In Alamosa, up to 30 Bald Eagles have been reported in a single tree near the Cattails Golf Course.  
 
John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment