Sunday 23 February 2014

[cobirds] Black backed gulls, Larimer

Around 5 pm I saw 2 maybe three large gulls circle around the north end of Douglass Reservoir a 1st/2nd cycle bird put down on the water and an black backed adult continued flying around.  Both birds were rather far away but I could discern a large yellow bill on the adult and the juvenile had a large black tipped bill. I then pulled out the camera and as the adult was flying away through the viewfinder I thought I saw another gull in the periphery (the 3rd gull?). As the adult drifted away the juvenile rose and followed. I Managed to get about 40 blurry ambiguous photos and Im still uncertain of its identity. I think i can rule out Slaty (lacked white tounges), and Lesser Black-backed (large bill) which leaves the possibilities of Western, Great Black-backed or Yellow-legged. In one photo, there is an intriguing hint of yellow where the legs would be. I sent a few of the photos to Nick Komar to get his opinion and I'll update then. The gulls flew SSE to overnight, I'm assuming. If anyone would like to search for them tomorrow, I suggest at one of the reservoirs SW of Wellington, Cobb lake, Black Hollow, Windsor Lake and/or Reservoir, Fossil Creek or Timnath Reservoir.

David Wade
Fort Collins

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/e2d6356a-5cee-4e90-8476-613d27beb844%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment