Friday 26 July 2013

[cobirds] Hummingbird Viewing

HI ALL,
After the last 2 weeks in my yard,  being very slow,[ Hummingbird wise], today things really picked up [ see Ira's post also]. It picked up in that I had at least 8 adult Rufous Hummingbirds, and probably 10 Rufous all together. The season started out with less hummers than last year, perhaps because wildflowers are so spectacular in certain areas, in the high country. Last week I had 2 ad. m. Calliopes,  one stayed for a half a day, and the other was here all day. The Rufous are creating a terror for other hummers, although I have had 4, different species at times.
I know Rufous have been in the decline over the last few years, but I have never had so many EVER, in my yard
 
So, COME on over !!   4400 Bow Mar Dr., Littleton, CO., 80123, is my address. I am south  of  the intersection of W. Quincy and S. Sheridan
 
Every year is different for what Hummingbirds I get in the yard, again I was not going to post because things were slow, until today. There are 2, chairs in the front yard, with 1, feeder under the front eve, near the front door.
There are 2, chairs in the back yard with 2 feeders hanging on the clothes line, and 1, feeder to the left of the chairs, near the bird bath.
 
As in the past, please park on the west side of Bow Mar Dr. and walk up the driveway towards the garage door. Take a right at the garage door, and walk through a patio[passing whiskey barrels on your right] which have plantings in them]. Walk out of the patio on the path which is to the right of 2 Aspen trees, and which directs you to the chairs. When leaving from the back yard,  walk back the way you walked out of the patio[so you are always on the south path]
 
Please, as in the past, sit in the chairs in the front or back yard and do NOT walk around the yard trying to see the hummers closer. I can pretty much promise you that if you are not moving, hummers will feed next to the chairs, eventually.
 
Also as in the past, please sign in, and leave a note about what you saw for others who might stop in.
Remember to look at the plantings. Today the hummers hardly EVER went to my feeders.
 
I have been doing some teaching in my yard and 8/3, in the morning I am teaching, so this morning is not a good time to visit but the rest of the day on 8/3 is fine. Like Ira said, early morning and evening is good for viewing, with any time of the day  being fine, also.
 
My house is in Jefferson County. Where you park on Bow Mar Dr. there is a black metal fence and areas west of the fence and at the fence, is Denver County.
 
The sun shines intense in the morning on the east side of the house and less intense on the west side of the house. Afternoon the sun is intense on the west side of the house
 
Have fun ! I appreciate your consideration.
Many stars go to the person who might find a Magnificent. I'd deffinately like that.
Happy Hummingbird Birding,
Tina Jones,   Littleton, CO. [Phone=303-906-5479]

No comments:

Post a Comment