Friday, 2 October 2026

[cobirds] GHO calling nightly for 5 weeks

A few years ago I asked why GHOs would call a bit in the fall.
I recall an offered answer that possibly shorter day-lengths matched
day-lengths in March enough to trigger some calling behavior.  
This year though a GHO has called every single night for 5 weeks
at 5 AM and sometimes at dusk as well.  (I only heard an answering
call on two nights).  Drought year causes new behavior?

Incidentally, it's ironic that my two resident rabbits have stayed safe
in spite of the nightly presence of this owl.  Wish my predator could
help out with the rabbit population, but I guess the rabbits sleep all
night.

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/aecd2025-810c-4c57-81b0-b19ee355e803n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment