Wednesday 4 October 2023

[cobirds] Migrant Poorwill doesn't flush until I touch him

Nightjars are known for roosting in plain sight during the day,
relying on their amazing camouflage.
I've looked right at a Potoo without seeing him until he was pointed
out to me.  But today's Poorwill was a stunner.
At 10 this morning I was slowly advancing on a pair of canoe cushions
along the side of my tennis court, which is edged with river rock, to see if
I could spot any hard-to-see spurge weeds amid the rocks.
I wasn't making any noise, except for moving the back cushion ahead
and sliding onto it.  I noticed an odd-shaped bundle between the
chain-link fence and the rocks, but paid no attention to it. Even when I was
seated right alongside of it-- less than 12" away--I noticed nothing,
but spent some time picking up some debris on my other side.  Maybe I
shouldn't have been wearing my distance glasses!  Anyway, my curiosity
finally kicked in and I put my hand on it to pick it up.  It flushed exactly like
a Grouse (like an airplane taking off), startling the heck out of me.
Was it asleep until I touched it?  Possibly, but I think it more likely it was
awake by then and just was relying on its camouflage.
David Gulbenkian
Crown Hill Open Space neighborhood, Jeffco

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5efe22cf-6d30-4294-8c92-0c25cf026766n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment