Friday 6 October 2023

[cobirds] Cranes, Custer Country

This morning I was thrilled to see a pair of Sandhill Cranes.  At least I wouldn't go through October without seeing one.  Then a little later, a flock of 100, then another, then another.  They kept coming throughout most of the day.  I counted 1040 that I entered on ebird.  But that doesn't count the 3 flocks I heard but couldn't locate, and I wasn't outside the entire day, so I'm sure I missed a lot.  When I was outside a new flock could  often be heard coming from the North before the last flock was out of hearing range to the South., I'd guess there were probably close to 2000 that went over!!!

This location is on the edge between the Wet Mountain Valley and the Sangre de Cristo foothills, so it's a place where probably the Sandhills funnel to go over the mountains and drop into the San Luis Valley.  They were so high that I usually couldn't see them with the naked eye.  I'd hear a group, turn towards the sky and scan with binoculars until I found them.  Then attempt a count!  I'd say the flocks averaged 100.  What a privilege it is to witness this spectacle!

Mary Kay Waddington

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAA-Db7dFh3DQ64qpTYuo3oUUtzk%2BqhW%3DmVBqZoMJEw-KA4xyXQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment