Sunday 6 August 2023

[cobirds] White-eyed Vireo, CSR, El Paso Co, Sunday

Hey COBirders,

I resumed banding at Clear Spring Ranch this week, in hopes of catching the beginnings of Yellow Warbler and Chipping Sparrow migration, and it seems I have. So far I've seen a few small waves of Yellow Warblers (8 banded yesterday), and a couple days of increased Chipping Sparrow numbers (25 caught yesterday). Both missing today!
I've banded about 100 birds this week, mostly local breeders, as would be expected, but some migrants are starting to show up.

Highlights today included catching a young F Cedar Waxwing (I don't get very many here), a recaptured hybrid Indigo-Lazuli Bunting Ad M banded in 2022, and an incredibly scruffy-looking White-eyed Vireo (second-year, sex unknown. It seemingly had a small brood patch, but Pyle says both sexes can have one.) This was my third banded at CSR in 11 years.

Mostly I've been catching Yellow Warblers (AD F and hatch-years), Common Yellowthroats, House Wrens,Yellow-breasted Chats, Gray Catbirds, and Lazuli Buntings - all local breeders.

Migration!

Steve Brown
Colo Spgs

No comments:

Post a Comment