Monday 10 July 2023

[cobirds] Identified and hopefully safe

I sent photos off to the Rocky Mountain Raptor rescue in Ft. Collins, and it has been identified as a female fledgling Kestrel. There is some concern because not only hasn’t it moved much in two days, it is all fluffed up and didn’t budge when I went to take its picture. All it did was turn its head to look at me, nothing more.

 

Like I said, it hadn’t budged from its spot for almost two days, even when my husband dumped more tree branches and weeds on the pile. But when I went out to try to capture it, it was gone. I did see two feral cats running into the field to the east, but there was no sign of feathers. I think it probably waited until I left and found a safe hidey hole somewhere in the burn pile. I’ll check on it tomorrow. Where it was at, has a lot of good shelter. If it isn’t sick or injured, then while I haven’t seen the parents around, they probably are. In the past, when they fledged, I would see the fledglings all over our yard. When they would see us, they would run and hide under stuff. As I said, this one just stared at me, even though I was only about 12” from it when I took the photo of it looking directly at me.

 

I’m supposed to check on it again tomorrow and if I see it and it still is acting unusual, I’m to call the rescue back.

 

Oh, and I forgot to say in my original post. I live in the Highlandlake community, just west of Mead, in Weld County. Highland lake is directly across the road from me, and the surface rights, plus a one-acre park is now owned by the Town of Mead, so it is open and free to the public. The lake is really birdy this year.

 

Pauli Smith

 

From: cobirds@googlegroups.com <cobirds@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Pauli Driver-Smith
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2023 7:46 PM
To: cobirds (cobirds@googlegroups.com) <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [cobirds] Can someone identify please?
Importance: High

 

This bird has been standing in the exact same spot on our burn pile for two days now. I think it may be injured. I'm not sure. It allowed me to get within 12 inches of it to take one of these pictures. All he did was look at me and make no attempt to try to get away. It is a little smaller than an adult Robin. Obviously, it isn't a robin.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment