Thursday 12 January 2023

[cobirds] More Cassin’s Finch news, et. al.

A few observations on this winter's CAFI irruption :

While I get Cassin's in my yard (NW Colorado Springs) every winter, this year, as we know, is up there with the most ever.

They have been arriving daily about an hour after dawn, taking advantage of the sunflower, safflower, and omillet I put out. I see about a dozen each day, mostly "female type", with a couple males.

I have been able to catch 3-5 many days, some in seed-baited traps, some in my one net, (but most days it has been too windy to even open the net).

So far I have banded about 70 CAFI, a few adult males, a few identifiable adult females, but most are young birds, unsexed (since males mostly won't show red until later this year).

The interesting thing is, that while I see many each day, and catch a handful, they are all new birds. I have only recaptured about 3-4 birds since November. Somehow, new birds are finding my yard daily! Obviously, there are a lot of them out there.

I've only banded one lone male Evening Grosbeak this season, (he hung around for several days), but have seen small flocks several times. They haven't been coming to the feeders, and leave immediately.

Also of interest this year are the American Tree Sparrows I am catching. I only see one loner ATSP some years, and none at all most winters. So far I've banded 8 in the last couple weeks. Unexpected, and they are attractive soarrows. A bonus.

Good winter birding,
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs, (Mountain Shadows neighborhood)

Sent from my iPad

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/6AB87D36-E81E-4CED-83AF-1109E339D8AF%40gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment