Wednesday 11 January 2023

[cobirds] Cassin's Finches - Arapahoe Co.

A remarkable number of Cassin's Finches were visiting trees and feeders at Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens in Centennial this morning. I counted at least 15, but the birds were moving a lot and disappearing into backyards, so I may have either undercounted or overcounted. I saw only immature / female types.

There was also a tan-striped White-throated Sparrow at the cemetery. I had brief looks at the dapper little sparrow before the bird disappeared into a yard.

I also visited the Little Dry Creek off Colorado in Centennial. Nothing unusual along the creek, but I enjoyed watching a sizable flock of robins feeding at Western Snowberries. This ended some of my wondering about this plant -- what eats these long lasting fruit. I hadn't previously taken the time to observe birds at these plants, but the fact that the berries seem to be there through summer, fall, and much of winter left me a little perplexed. I guess the berries are best sampled when withered and frosted over, time and time again.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO


--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/dc4fa8f0-3e90-42ae-b8da-fbb0126931cfn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment