Friday 21 October 2022

[cobirds] Pinyon Jays in Laporte, Larimer County

Birders,
I can confirm that there is nothing more exciting than hearing the distinctive crescendo of the Pinyon Jay whinny from the comfort of one's home. Earlier this week, the 17th and 18th I heard a small flock or pair of Pinyon Jays flying over the vicinity of Goat Hill in Laporte. I mentioned this to a neighbor and asked him to keep an eye out for any solid blue-gray jays distinct from his usual Scrubbies. Yesterday afternoon he told me that he may have seen two at his feeders stealing sunflower seeds in the late morning. I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled. 
I'm curious if these birds were headed towards the grove of Pinus edulis near Livermore (https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70014927 ). If these birds are utilizing this grove I fear that the disturbance from the impending reroute of Hwy 287 and construction of the Glade Reservoir could be detrimental to the jays. However this pine nutty association could also work in the favor of opponents of the NISP project if the jay is listed as endangered. I smell an opportunity.

Erin Strasser

No comments:

Post a Comment