Thursday 26 November 2020

[cobirds] Likely Yellow-billed Loon at Standley Lake - Jeffco

I'm fairly certain that one of the loons I saw yesterday afternoon at Standley Lake was a YBLO. I checked with a couple experienced birders, and they concur. It was just east of the boat launch on the north shore toward the spillway, about 100 yards off shore.

Determining characteristics: Very thick bill, noticeably thicker than the one seen on Common Loons (included a pic of one seen on NW shore yesterday), coloring is consistent with other YBLO pics confirmed in the area over the past year. Lighting wasn't great, so was unable to see the color of the bill clearly. Pics are here on my checklist. I'd welcome any feedback! I'd also welcome advice on how to include images now that there's no Classic option and no image button (using Chrome on a MacBook Pro). I tried taking screenshots and pasting them, but it locked up when I tried to post the message.

And a shout out to Joe Roller -- Reading the posts, Joe seems to have brought joy to many people in the birding community. I met Joe at the Pacific Wren at Bear Creek Lake Park in Lakewood in January of 2020. We emailed occasionally, and he even loaned me a few books this summer to support my search for those little tidbits he always seemed to have about so many birds. He was so generous and thoughtful.

Donna Stumpp
Westminster, CO - Jeffco

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/f542ed6d-ab3b-4cc0-8301-14137806b430n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment