Friday 27 November 2020

[cobirds] Good ol Joe Roller


In 2006, as a Texas resident, I had the good fortune to snag some field work out of Colorado with the Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory. Worked one project of Tony Leukering doing a bird survey of North Table Mountain near Golden. Happened upon a handful of Cassin's and Grasshopper Sparrows singing on territory on this small plateau. Apparently not so common in this county, Tony snagged his friend by the name of Joe Roller and we went out and I got to show them these cool sparrows. I could instantly tell Joe was a legit OG birder in these parts. A very sharp mind, very astute human, and a great sense of humor. He told tales of his younger days hanging out with the boys of the Coor's family (the brewery is visible from North Table Mountain). When I moved to CO in 2013, while driving a uhaul in city traffic up I-25, I saw what sure looked to be a magpie with a yellow bill. As I was driving and couldn't stop for photos, I thought I should pass a heads up to someone in the local birding community. Joe Roller came to mind and I sent him a note, to which he replied something along the lines of "I don't know what to do with this sighting". It was probably a magpie in weird light, or carrying yellow colored food item. Joe Roller is surely one of the greatest birders CO has ever seen, and missed by many.
Derek Hill
Loveland, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c500cc2e-8c16-46bd-b061-78fa7cb1f0bcn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment