Wednesday 25 November 2020

[cobirds] Joe Roller

It was certainly sad to hear in the CoBirds messaging this evening of Joe Roller’s passing.  Joe was a wonderful guy and terrific birder; a true and cherished friend.  Joe, it saddens me to have lost you, and I will miss you greatly.

 

I know that in my many years on the Board of Directors of the Colorado Field Ornithologists, Joe, a fellow Board member, was the among first colleagues that I would turn to for advice on tough issues.  It was always sound and well-reasoned advice, and Joe’s cool head helped moved the CFO on the path that it continues to this day as a fine organization.  I must say that the DFO had to have prospered as well under his direction.

 

But, Joe was a great and tenacious field birder in Colorado as well.  Be aware that he was number one on the state’s eBird list.  He would have been in sole possession of first place, but I think Norm Erthal caught him with this fall’s Magnificent Frigatebird.  There are so many warm and cherished memories that I have of Joe, it’s hard to think of him as gone.

 

My deepest prayers go to Maryanne who I know will miss him so, and to his sons (and fellow Blue Devils).

 

Bill Kaempfer

Safety Harbor, FL

No comments:

Post a Comment