Monday 30 April 2018

[cobirds] Sparrow I.D. - Pueblo

COBirders--  A few minutes ago while in my suburban-type back yard I saw a small sparrow that I couldn’t identify.  I didn’t have my bins and observed it for about a minute.  Very nearby, there was a Pine Siskin that I could use for size comparison. This sparrow seemed even smaller than the siskin (max. length 5”) and strikingly it carried its long tail very high, similar to a wren. The crown looked like that of a juvenile White-crowned; typical sparrow bill; no noticeable eye-ring or malar markings; back, dark with distinct medium brown and black markings; streaked breast though not heavily so; tail long, mostly brown. As the bird flew off it demonstrated an undulating pattern. It had been foraging in my raspberry patch which has rows of bare ground and newly sprouted plants in mulch.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Leon Bright – Pueblo (city and county)

No comments:

Post a Comment