Saturday 24 September 2016

[cobirds] CSR, El Paso Co, Saturday

Hey COBirders,

The wind did bring in some new birds this morning for banding at Clear Spring Ranch, but nothing unique. What was unusual was catching many species that I thought were gone for the season, having not seen them for 7-10 days. Among the catch for today a Hatch-year Dusky Flycatcher, a HY F Lazuli Bunting (last one 9/15), a HY Savannah Sparrow (last one 9/14), a HY Vesper Sparrow (last one 9/10), an adult F MacGillivray's Warbler (last one 9/18), and a recap (from 8/25) Yellow-breasted Chat (last one 9/16).

A couple of seasonal milestones - today I banded Chipping Sparrow #900 ! (only about 800 more than any other year!). Of those, about 175 were adults, for about a 5:1 ratio of adults to juvs.  I have 1875 total birds for the season (previous high count - 525 in 2015, through 10/31!)  It has been an exceptional year. Almost every species I catch has much higher numbers than any previous fall.  The oats across the road were finally mowed, and 12" of stubble left in place, but there are very few birds coming out of the field anymore.  Why are there so many more birds at CSR than in other years? You got me - I'm just recording the phenomenon!  

Oh, and I'm not done. I plan to be out there for another month.

more soon,
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs

No comments:

Post a Comment