Friday 24 May 2013

[cobirds] Lyons to Estes Park - Boulder Co.

I had to go to Estes Park to set up for a big art fair that is taking place there this weekend and left early to do some birding along the way, as I have not been to the Mountains much yet this year.  (BTW if you are looking for something to do this weekend, come checkout the art fair in downtown Estes!)
 
First stop of the morning was Bear Hollow Park in Lyons.  It was quite birdy with tons of Yellow Warblers, a couple of Wilson's and Common Yellowthroats.  It was also loaded with empids and several warbling vireos.  The highlight was what I believe is a PHILIDELPHIA VIRIO just over the bridge.  I was able to get a couple of photos of it which you can see at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aphelionart/8809507359/in/photostream/  My success rate of getting photos has gone way down since the trees have leafed out :(, so was happy this guy hopped on the wire (albeit back lit) allowing me to get photos.
 
I was also playing a few warbler songs on my iPhone as I am trying to become more familiar with birding by ear (I find this very hard).  I was playing the song for Black-Throated Blue Warbler and a bird started singing back the exact song note for note!  It sang back and forth with the recorded tape of Black-Throated Blue for at least a minute as I slowly worked my way toward the tree it was singing from.  When I was about 50 feet from the tree, but before I had had found the bird, it flew out of the tree and I was not able to re-find it.  I know some birds can mimic the songs of other birds, so without making a visual I don't feel 100% confident that there IS a Black-Throated Blue at Bear Hollow, but I also would not rule it out.  The bird that flew was the right size to be a warbler.
 
From Lyons I headed toward Estes and took County Rd. 80 (also called Longmont Dam Rd.)  I did not hike the dam area, but instead stopped several places along the road that I could hear birds calling.  One particular turn has great wooded areas on both sides and I hiked around a bit.  In the bottom of the ravine  (which is tough to get to and not recommended if you don't have good shoes and climb like a goat) I turned up a BEWICK'S WREN.  Seemed a strange place, rather high elevation, but there he was.  Unfortunately he dropped down before I got a photo, but I got a great view.  That area was also loaded with Laz Buntings (and one Laz x Indigo hybrid), Grosbeaks, Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers, Catbirds, more Flycatchers, Pe-wees, Vireos (Warbling and Plumbeous) and a Three-Toed Woodpecker.  Broad Tailed Hummers were buzzing everywhere too.
 
My final stop of the day, after I set up, was off of Elk Meadow Rd. where I didn't find anything rare, but got to watch a Cassin's Finch feeding its young, had numerous Green-Tailed Towhees and Gray Headed Juncos, plus a couple flycatchers and chipping sparrows.
 
Several new life birds for me today, so I guess you could say it was all and all a great day!
 
Happy birding!
 
Cathy Sheeter
Fort Lupton, or thereabouts

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/625c4c5f-25d5-4a31-8df2-252b03a7ed55%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment