Saturday 17 June 2023

[cobirds] Welcome back, Nighthawks - Arapahoe

Usually, I'll hear my first Common Nighthawk from my Centennial backyard by May 26 or so. A night or two later, I'll see one or more -- over my home, neighborhood, and the High Line Canal. Then, for about two weeks the birds will pass over my home, before disappearing for the summer.

This year, t took a little longer this year to encounter my first Nighthawk, but since June 3 I've heard or seen Nighthawks almost nightly. My favorite encounter, easily, was in the evening of June 14, when two flew over my house -- low, seeming to feed, but also headed northish. One of the birds was incredibly vocal and I heard a single boom, my first time hearing this in Colorado.

Last night, (6/16) I heard a single vocalization, but did not see the bird who gave it. This  ties the latest date I've seen or a heard a Nighthawk over my home in June.

Other observations, of the insectivore variety...

Last Sunday (6/12), I biked the High Line Canal and Little Dry Creek from about Colorado Blvd to deKoevend Park. I tallied five singing Cordilleran Flycatchers over a four or five mile stretch of the route. I intend to bike the route again to see how many are sticking around.

At Natural Grocers at University and Arapahoe, a Say's Phoebe's nest was overflowing with young last weekend. I stepped out of the store to see an adult phoebe perch on a sign and drop something. A fecal sac, it turned out on further investigation.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/0bb79e06-800e-46ce-ae9b-971eb039ee09n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment