Friday 9 November 2018

[cobirds] potentially interesting mystery bird, Boulder

Hello all,

About 50 minutes ago I was walking on the Boulder Creek Path around the parking lot 169 construction site, just north of the CU Boulder stadium, when a bird flew across the path in front of me, headed north. My first thought was robin, but something seemed off. I got on it in binoculars briefly and was trying to make it into a bluebird or a thrush, but the tail was too long, the colors were wrong, the flight style was wrong. In the afternoon light it looked like it had a pale brown/tan back and yellowish underparts. I lost it as it passed behind (east of) the big white inflated dome on the football practice field. It didn't look like it was going far, but when I ran forward, I couldn't see where it had landed.

I don't know what I saw. But in color, size, shape, and flight style, it looked tantalizingly like a Myiarchus flycatcher. Any Myiarchus is a good bird in Boulder County, and especially at this time of year, when the REALLY good ones (Brown-crested, Dusky-capped, Nutting's) should be carefully ruled out.

I walked around the Newton Court apartments, where it looked like the bird was headed, but I didn't refind it. If you are planning to bird around Boulder tomorrow, it might not hurt to poke around this spot just in case. But it may require some logistical effort -- there is a home football game tomorrow at 1:30 PM. Parking anywhere near this area will be very difficult, especially from late morning through the afternoon. Parking lot 169 may be full of tailgaters in the morning.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAFhaDVJWLRFDbvsSMkp2o9bkgBLpE3hGuSsS6EUSrSZP%2BZgLzQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment