Monday 23 July 2018

[cobirds] Re: Black Grosbeak and Apparently Breeding Chipping Sparrows in west Centennial, Arapahoe County

Hi Folks,
   Mea culpa.  It wasn't a Black Grosbeak in my yard (I don't think there is such a bird), it was a Black-headed Grosbeak.  

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 2:07:54 PM UTC-6, KevyG...@aol.com wrote:
Hello Fellow Birders,

   A Black Grosbeak has been hitting the cup of peanut pieces in my little townhouse yard in west Centennial, near Holly & Arapahoe.  I'm guessing it's a first year bird, though I can't tell them apart from adult females.

   Also, I started seeing an adult Chipping Sparrow (never saw two) around my yard in early- to mid-June.  About 2 weeks ago I observed it several times in my front lawn and each time it was collecting small insects.  It would then fly up into a large silver maple tree.  About a week ago I watched it collect bits of seed from under the feeders.  It then flew into a dense crab-apple tree from which a din of chips then erupted - it was feeding fledgling(s).  A few days ago I started seeing Chipping Sparrows with streaky breasts (kids) foraging under the feeders.

   As for the flock of crossbills that graced my yard with their presence for a couple of months, they have moved on.  I took down the feeders in mid-June because I was seeing sick House Finches, plus I was going to be out of town for a couple of weeks.  Haven't seen the crossbills since.

Keep Smilin',
Kevin

Sent from my Remington Rand Typewriter via my Rotary Dial Wall Phone


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/6b430c90-83ab-4d95-bc2c-eff711aa54b0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment