Saturday 14 July 2018

[cobirds] Possible Black-chinned Hummingbird- Denver

Hi

I live in the DU area of Denver and about 7:30 pm a female/juvenile hummingbird was spotted feeding on some tubular red flowers. The hummer had a long slightly dipped bill, was flicking its white-tipped tail feathers as it was feeding, could not detect rufous on it tail, the light made it difficult to determine back color, when perched it appeared the wing extended about even with its tail, the throat appeared a light dusty color, all of the mentioned features suggested a Black-chinned. However when it was hovering I noticed a dimmed, dusky, rufous tone to its lower flanks, suggesting a female/juvenile Broad-tailed. Kaufman's relatively recent Advanced Birding Guide suggest some young Black-chinned can show, faint, dusky-rufous wash to its flanks?

If it wasn't for individual variation amongst birds, I could have put a satisfying check mark for Black-chinned Hummingbird for my yard list. looks like I'll have wait.

Bob Righter
Denver CO

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment