Wednesday 26 April 2017

[cobirds] Pair of Mississippi Kites over Downtown Denver (Denver County)

This afternoon while leaving the office I observed a single raptor the size and shape of a Mississippi Kite circle over a building at the end of Delgany St. by Cherry Creek.  I moved quickly to the end of the street to find a view that was not obscured by any buildings and was able to relocate the bird.  It was a single individual flying about 100 feet off the ground in a circular pattern.  The bird had pointed wing tips, a tail with a shallow "V", and was white on the body with black wing and tail tips.  The bird began to ascend and was joined by ANOTHER one.  I watched for about 5 minutes as they circled in unison and eventually disappeared from view. 

The size, shape, color, and style of flying were all consistent with Mississippi Kites I have observed in South Eastern Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas. 

I they appeared to move to the South West, but since I did not have binoculars with me I cannot say for sure which direction they went. 

I realize this is an unusual sighting and that the chances of relocating the pair is remote, but this is too notable of an event for me to not make a record on the list.

Chris Goulart
Aurora, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/6a5867e5-63db-4deb-82e1-3e3ecdbd9f65%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment