Tuesday 24 March 2015

[cobirds] Chafield and Ken Caryl Valley (Douglas, Jefferson)

Yesterday (Mar 23) there was a Winter Wren at Chatfield SP near Plum Creek in the same general spot where Joey Kellner had found it the previous day. It was immediately upstream of the footbrige in the "lowlands" on the west side of the creek. Out on the Plum Creek Delta proper I found 3 Rusty Blackbirds feeding along a flooded pool amid the riparian. Plus two pretty Wood Ducks. No Eastern Phoebe just yet. 

The marsh at Plum Creek Nature Area had my first Blue-winged Teal (2) of the season, a Greater Yellowlegs, and a calling Virginia Rail. A male Eastern Bluebird was along the Highline Canal near Roxborough Road, last seen flying over the fields there toward the SSW.
I looked for Burrowing Owls further south along Roxborough Road (County Road 3) but couldn't spot any.

Hine Lake at Robert E. Easton Regional Park (off Coal Mine Ave) had a female Red-breasted Merganser.

This morning (Mar 24) there were 4 Evening Grosbeaks along Mountain Willow Drive near my home in Ken Caryl Valley. They were eating leaf buds of some tree (elm, I think). I enjoy the randomness of my encounters with this species.

On a minor, but enjoyable note...Bushtit was a rare and occasional visitor to my yard (3-4 detections) during my first year of living in Ken Caryl Valley. But over the past week or so a pair (sometimes three or four) has been around regularly every day, often visiting my suet feeders. I am hoping they are considering nesting near my home. They really dote on the suet, and sometimes have to be patient while a larger bird is feeding. Sometimes they perch very close to the feeder, dwarfed by a magpie or flicker indulging less than a foot away.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RopFX4dR4DUp4z%3DBucpLTmHpYKWCOmNJ7-8b7nBLJo5WKQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment