Thursday 5 February 2015

[cobirds] Big and tiny, an odd avain conjunction; Littleton, Arapahoe County

I always get a thrill on the odd occasions when species of vastly different habitats or geographic or seasonal affiliations can be enjoyed at the same time. Back home along the central CA coast I recall instances like a usually summertime Elegant Tern beside a Glaucous Gull in December, or a Pileated Woodpecker calling wildly from a pine slope overlooking a beach with Black Oystercatchers in a calling frenzy. How often does an oystercatcher hear a Pileated? 

Anyway, flash to CO and this morning, as I was in a meeting in the parish office at St. Mary Church in Littleton, window open to the lovely springlike weather. In mid-meeting I heard the distant but distinctly delightful uvular trill of Sandhill Cranes!. Being in mixed company (the rest were not birders) engaged in a serious topic of discussion, I had to make a discrete request to step out of the room for a minute. I dashed outside and the cranes were still calling. I was able to spot them - three - flying northeast pretty high up there. Then I noticed high burry "see-see" notes coming from the spruce right beside me: a Golden-crowned Kinglet! I managed a view of the bird as it cavorted in associations with a few Black-capped Chickadees. 

The cranes went on, of course. I paid attention to see if the kinglet was evident later in the day but it was not. Two good birds for Littleton.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RorHxuYY99rmULs%3DquSGYCipymh2_63jdQTYoQz1q_rJRw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment