Thursday 3 March 2022

Re: [cobirds] A situation (Boulder)

Well said Eric. I also bird this spot fairly regularly and I have seen the same courteous behavior from the birders and occasional "just a photographer". I have a couple things to add...

Whenever I am there, I invariably run into some of the homeowners and they are very friendly and often ask if I've seen this or that bird. I am always respectful of their property and also don't point my big camera directly at their houses.

I would say that 99% of the days that I'm birding that stretch, I see the Boulder County Sherriff cruise by as well as the Boulder County Open Space folks, so it seems well patrolled.

There is parking in a couple of pull offs along the road, but not enough for more than maybe 10 cars total. There is more parking at the Heil Valley Ranch Picture Rock Trailhead around the corner, but the problem I've seen with that is when the Picture Rock trail is closed (as it currently is due to muddy conditions), Open Space closes the gate to that parking lot. Next time I see one of the Open Space trucks, I will flag them down and ask if there is a possibility of them leaving the parking lot gate open when the trail is closed and maybe just post a sign.

There are also some places along the road that do have no parking signs, but I have seen people ignore (or maybe not see) them.

Adrian Lakin,
Mead, CO
On Thursday, March 3, 2022 at 2:14:34 PM UTC-7 Eric DeFonso wrote:
Hi Dave,

Others may have more information than I offer in this response, but for what it's worth, I visit this particular location fairly frequently, being as it is only 10-12 minutes drive from my residence. It's one of my few "patches", and I go there not simply to ogle the pygmy-owl (as it is, I rarely encounter it myself), but to bird. It's a great birding spot, and very peaceful.

Over the past few months, my birding visits to this spot have seen quite a few more people than I had been used to seeing, compared to prior years and seasons. In general this area is popular with dog-walkers, power-walkers, walker-talkers (friends out for a walk and a chat), runners, cyclists, and of course, birders. And now, with the advent of a regularly-seen owl, photographers. And birder-photographers. And birders who wield cameras but don't really consider themselves photographers (I include myself in this latter category). Even so, on most days I visit this spot the number of other birder/photogs is easily less than 8 at any time, and often less than 4, spread out over a stretch of road that's over a mile long. Sometimes I'm even the only birder there, although since last fall, that's rarely the case because of this owl. On the days I go, people will ask me as I walk by "Have you seen it?", assuming that because I carry a camera I'm looking for the owl just like they are. I usually say "Not today", which is the truth most of the time since I really don't see it very much, but again, I'm not there specifically looking for it (although like anyone I'd always be delighted to see it). Many visits from non-locals to this area come up empty, with no owl views and hours spent fruitlessly gazing up at old squirrel and oriole nests and empty cottonwood branches.

However, I have heard on occasion of groups like what was described secondhand, larger groups of 8,10, or 15 people caravaning to the area, usually on weekends but not necessarily, usually on nice sunny days but also not necessarily, looking for and sometimes locating the bird. I too have heard of bad behavior on occasion there when that happens, although I've never personally witnessed it. The one occasion I was there recently when I did see the bird(s), I noted that everyone there (maybe 8-10 people at the most at any one moment) behaved quite well, and there was certainly no need for people to trespass or trample anything to get to a good viewing or photo spot that day. But I do know that the owl can occur in many possible areas along that road, and other circumstances and on other days there can be way more people, and some may be tempted to justify their long drives to get there by doing "whatever it takes" to get that great pic, even if the bird doesn't seem to willingly offer it on that occasion.

I don't go to this patch often enough to be a true "patrol officer" for it, but I go there probably more often than most and I do feel a small amount of possessiveness for it, despite not living right there myself. It really is one of my favorite local birding spots, and for good reason. If I ever do witness anything that could offend the residents, violate the county open-space rules, or otherwise jeopardize access to this area, you can be sure I will speak up and urge restraint. For my own selfish reasons, I would hate for my future experiences at this birding spot to be tainted by the improper actions of a few.

All this is offered simply to provide a bit more context about what may be happening. It's my experience only, and I don't claim to know all the details of what has happened.

Eric


-------
Eric DeFonso
near Lyons, Boulder County, CO


On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 11:42 AM DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleat...@msn.com> wrote:
It has come to my attention that photographers, some of whom may be birders, are causing a problem west of Lyons in their lust for a pygmy-owl.  At the risk of pissing some of you off, and causing even more people to seek this bird by publicizing it, I ask for restraint.  The person who called me is not a birder but a guy I used to work with who knows I am into birds.  He owns property bordering Route 7 w of town where he says 16 cars full of loud-talking people pointing big cameras, rutting the right-of-way that he maintains are back again today, the way they have been in numbers for days (weeks?).  He is upset and I don't blame him.  He says that whoever these people are, they don't really care about the bird, that they act very entitled, that this is all just about getting the photo and social.  In short these sorts of situations give birders a black eye and they are becoming more commonplace.  If anyone reading this knows about the situation first hand, has been there, has a comment or rebuttal I can pass on to my friend, I am all ears.  My friend hasn't called the sheriff yet but is about to and it makes me sad to think "we" might have caused a reasonable person with deep sentiments for conservation and the natural world to be so upset.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cob...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+u...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CY4PR0601MB3763B23362D6A73BC1ACFFF5C1049%40CY4PR0601MB3763.namprd06.prod.outlook.com.

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/aa39ed3f-0b3f-402a-b91a-b534d2ffed45n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment