Saturday 24 October 2015

[cobirds] Ken Caryl Valley, Jefferson 10/24

Sparrows were my highlights along Massey Draw in the Ken Caryl Valley this morning. A Swamp Sparrow was in a patch of cattails with willows and weeds. A stunning adult Harris's Sparrow was with White-crowneds, juncos, along with my first Am. Tree Sparrows of these season in JeffCo (6 total). 

A hummingbird was at my back yard feeder early this morning, but I only had a very short look as it was already flying away from the feeder. The impression was clearly of Broad-tailed, and I'd bet $20 on my impression,but not my life. All my three recent sightings since Oct 12 have been of individuals visiting the feeder early in the morning for only brief drinks, but most days I am not around after the early morning to watch for more visits. 

Picking up on my recent tale of magpie and Accipiter drama, this morning it was a juv Sharp-shinned Hawk being harrassed. But this one was smart enough to just make a strong and prolonged bee line, leaving the pies in the dust.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6Rord7XZU%2B-ixMxUyoeWnXnkgxT7et96%3DmsSv%3D5i%3DHJaUjQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment