Sunday 8 February 2015

[cobirds] Larimer - Fort Collins - Chihuahuan Ravens???

I am realizing this morning with almost a sick feeling in my stomach that I may have seen ~12 Chihuahuan Ravens last weekend (January 31), but didn't consider that possibility at the time and didn't make the effort to be sure. So take all of this with a grain of salt. I am not a beginning birder but I always say (without modesty) that my identification skills are not very good.

I was walking my dog at the flat part of Reservoir Ridge Natural Area in Fort Collins. The habitat is grassy/brushy and just a quarter mile or so from the first of the foothills. I had binoculars but also had a dog tugging at the leash. On the far side of the small pond south of the trail I saw large black birds on the ground. More flew in. Then they took off to the north, flying over my head. Looking through the bins while holding onto my dog, I was frustrated with my ID skills because I couldn't tell if they were American Crows or Common Ravens, two species I thought I could distinguish most if not all of the time at this distance. The dog kept tugging, and I moved on, feeling incompetent.

It was only yesterday when I first thought (briefly) about the possibility of a third option. This morning I pulled out my Sibley guide and listened to some recordings, and I find myself leaning toward an ID of Chihuahuan Raven. The sense I had at the time, and the reason I struggled with the ID, was that the birds didn't have textbook wedge-shaped tails, making me think crow. But they seemed large for crows, the head and bill seemed to stretch out too far in front of the wings, and they soared a little bit (not much) in flight, making me think raven. I was also thinking at the time that their calls didn't sound quite "normal" for crow or raven. I listened to a recording of CHRA this morning, and it seems like that is what I heard - but I don't trust my memory of a call I heard more than a week ago.

Bottom line: I don't expect confirmation and I don't think anyone could chase an observation from a week ago. But to the birders of Larimer County, especially anyone birding around the foothills, I wanted to post this reminder to keep in mind the possibility of CHRA so you don't find yourself in my shoes, a week after the fact, wondering...

John Shenot
Fort Collins, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/4f70e195-3472-43cd-8912-732f2ccabf08%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment