Monday 2 February 2015

[cobirds] Boulder ravens, Feb. 1

Hello, Birders.

Yesterday afternoon, Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 1, I saw crows and ravens flying west along the Arapahoe Road corridor, eastern Boulder County, from 2:50 pm to 4:10 pm. I observed this phenomenon from Sombrero Marsh, Valmont Reservoir, South Teller Farms, Burke Lake, and Erie Reservoir. Some of the birds certainly were American crows, a few certainly were Common Ravens, and others were "raven sp." and "crow/raven sp."

A 80-minute passage of ravens, no matter what the species, is an interesting phenomenon. I hope others can get out and document it. I assume this flight occurs every day in the afternoon. Maybe the birds are coming from the Front Range Landfill, just over the border in Weld County.

By 4:30, I had dropped south to Baseline Road where I saw another raven. But then I saw a Merlin, and that put an end to my raven ponderings. Here's a short video clip of the Merlin with its Super Bowl snack: http://tinyurl.com/Merlin-2015-02-01

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/226c523d-bc10-4fde-9f55-e554b2843f0a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment