Thursday 24 October 2013

[cobirds] Red Phalarope

This afternoon, I went over to try for the Tower Rd. and 96th Red Phalarope.  Once I got to the right spot (about ¼ mile north of 96) it was easy to find in a large playa (well, actually it was in the small playa on the west side of the road with lots of Long-billed Dowitchers across from the large playa on the east side).  Total of 5 shorebird species (including Pectoral), 6 dabbling ducks and a White-faced Ibis (right at 96th and Tower, though.  Note that Glenn Walbek reported this as an ibis sp., but I am slightly confident that it is White-faced given its slightly red but uniformly colored legs).  Since the White-faced Ibis was a new county bird, Adams is no longer my only county in CO with White Ibis, but not White-faced.  Now it is my only county with Red Phalarope, but not Wilson’s!  Go figure.

 

Bill Kaempfer

Boulder

 

No comments:

Post a Comment