Monday 19 August 2024

[cobirds] When you're not actually birding... Arapahoe

I just returned from a work trip to Montreal (via Vancouver, after a delayed flight caused the return trip to last 36+ hours) to almost immediately return to DIA on Saturday morning to drop my partner off for her own work trip. 

On my drive home from DIA, I stopped by a few parking lots around Quebec and County Line in Arapahoe County to photograph an especially lush patch of moss (Bryum argenteum) and a Western Black Widow that I'd encountered on earlier visits to the area. Neither the moss nor the widow disappointed. Near the widow was my an Eastern Kingbird; I think this was my first sighting of one this year. (They're uncommon during migration in the small patch of western Centennial where I spend most of my time, and I managed to not see any during trips to Missouri and Montreal.)

On another stop, at the Aspen Grove shopping center (to also look for Bryum moss...), I encountered a Cedar Waxwing family of at least one adult feeding at least two young birds. Neat to see them in a massive suburban parking lot (albeit one near the S. Platte River). 

Yesterday (Sunday), my yard was filled with birds, including another Cedar Waxwing family with young. I've yet to find a waxwing nest in the area (though with a Bushtit nest, finding one is a goal), but it's so neat to see this bird around in late summer. Elsewhere in the yard, House Finches seemed to be feeding on Prickly Lettuce seeds. I've tried to control this common weed, but they're especially numerous in my yard this year. (I think it's at least partially because the heat and drought and insects created gaps amid my wildflowers, which are both stunted this year and, if annuals, less numerous than usual.)

Centennial has been getting evening rains lately, and I keep watching for them to bring  great flocks of Common Nighthawks. They've long had an association with rains -- or, at least, a perceived one -- perhaps because one of their favored fall prey items (flying ants) also have an association with rain (maybe?). 

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO


--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/e607f77b-7a8f-4a05-847a-66328fb0b4bfn%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment