Saturday 10 August 2024

[cobirds] Nocturnal shorebird fallout, Bent County, CO

Birders, 

Not a good sleeper, I woke up before 4 a.m. to watch the Olympics live on TV. At 4:09 a.m., I experienced a power outage, and, unable to make coffee or log in to the internet, decided to get to work on my daily steps outside. It was cold, with low clouds and limited visibility. 

Every night this time of year, I hear Upland Sandpipers flying south over my house, far from shorebird habitat. Last night, I recorded a Willet flying south with them, a new yard bird. 

I soon heard more shorebirds, including Lesser Yellowlegs, Baird's Sandpiper (yard bird) Least Sandpiper (yard bird). I never spent a minute without hearing migrant shorebirds. 

Merlin picked up Solitary Sandpiper (yard bird) and Spotted Sandpiper (yard bird). I heard and knew both calls.

Merlin then recorded American Avocet, new for my yard. Finally, at 5:32, as dawn was breaking, I noticed a nearby street light was on, and I went inside to find my power was restored. 

My insomnia and power outage combined to add six birds to my yard list, which brings my yard total to 201 species. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. 

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment