Friday 30 October 2020

[cobirds] Re: tell it to me straight.... finding a Lapland Longspur

"more so than Pawnee-West"

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 1:28:07 PM UTC-6, The "Nunn Guy" wrote:
Hi all

Find a Horned Lark flock in and around Nunn, CPER and Pawnee-West and you are sure to hear and might get lucky to see them. Last year's first Pawnee-East CBC had lots of them, more so then Pawnee-East.

lalo.JPG



Thanks, Gary Lefko, Nunn


On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 8:38:40 AM UTC-6, ronbco wrote:
I'm a reasonably passionate birder, but not very patient.
I saw an ebird post for a Lapland Longspur nearby my home and since it would be a lifer I went to look; no success, but again, I am not patient.

Looking at ebird stats for the area (Loveland/Longmont) it seems that sitings are not common. My general impression is that they are seen in onsey/twosey out in the middle of fields, and you need to use a scope and be patient.

The siting I was acting on yesterday had one in a flock of horned larks. When I arrived at the location, on queue, a flock of something swirled around, too far for me to id. I watched the area for about 15 min and saw very active flocks of probably horned larks and certainly meadowlarks. They would usually settle in the midst of grass that was too high to site them in.

So my questions are:
- is the above experience typical?
- are they and their friends so skittish that you will never get within 100 yds?
- if I spent say a few hours on a sunny winter day walking a field slowly might I get a good look
- are the id marks distinctive enough that I will likely feel confident?
- do they hang with meadow larks, or just horned?

Ron Bolton
Berthoud

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5465d8c6-cbab-4e1d-b497-8692b63ef187o%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment