Sunday 28 June 2020

[cobirds] Eastern Meadowlark, East Boulder Trail, Boulder Co

Earlier this morning, I rewound the Eastern Meadowlark previously reported by Ted Floyd and widely discussed on Cobirds. This bird was reported as early as June 11 on eBird where it has been more frequently posted than on Cobirds. It has been reported on two separate eBird hotspots as well as at least one personal hotspot.

I walked the East Boulder Trail from the Valmont parking lot/trailhead. (There is also a parking lot/trailhead off of Arapaho.) 

As I walked west along the long drainage/irrigation ditch approaching the small falls in the ditch, I heard the bird singing ahead. I spotted it on a post on the north side of the ditch and could easily see the white malar area. The song was higher pitched than that of the Western Meadowlark, and to me seemed to have clearer whistled quality than the Western. I was able to get distant photos, but a passing runner caused the bird to fly into the hay field south of the trail before I could get a recording.

I continued along the trail awhile before turning back. Walking along the ditch, with hay field on either side of the trail was like walking through fields of Dickcissel song. I tallied 9 singing Dickcissels, which I suspect was low. I was also graced with nice looks at a male Bobolink on the trail and occasional Bobolink songs from the field south of the trail. Just after turning south on the trail (the area I have found best for Bobolinks this year and last), a female Bobolink flew to perch on a barbed wire fence. A singing male Bobolink flew to her on the fence, then flew back to the field still singing. From the field, he continued to sing as another male flew up to a trailside Russion olive and began singing. 

With the female apparently attentive, both males continued singing, until the bird in the field finally flew up to the Russian olive and sent the other male on his way.

When I approached the cataract on the ditch, I again heard the Eastern Meadowlark singing, this time from the field to the south. This time I was able to get a recording of the bird, though I haven't yet checked to see how much airplane noise and trail traffic distracts. The bird eventually flew to a cottonwood near the falls where it sang again for awhile before flying northeast into the fields there. 

At that point, I cold hear the call of breakfast and headed home. Checklist is here https://ebird.org/checklist/S70907809. Photos and recordings will be added later.

Chuck Hundertmark
Lafayette, CO


No comments:

Post a Comment