Friday 21 December 2018

[cobirds] UPDATE: Gyrfalcon - yes! But not at 11:20.

My original post was submitted at about 11:20 a.m.; not sure why it took so long to show up here. I've been trying to update/reply to this post for the last couple of hours but Google Groups hasn't been cooperating on multiple browsers and devices - hopefully this will post! Cross-posted info from the CO RBA Facebook.


The Gyrfalcon was NOT seen at 12:30 as the original post time would suggest, at least not by me.


Nor was the Gyrfalcon seen at 11:20 - as my photos show, the 11:20 flyover was NOT a Gyrfalcon, but a Prairie Falcon.


However, YES, the Gyrfalcon was seen at about 11:00 a.m. by myself and a couple of others flying south over Trilby Rd close to the intersection of Hidden Springs Rd and heading toward the southwest over the ridgeline, NOT toward Coyote Ridge Open Space. Falcon-shaped, a little smaller than nearby Common Ravens, impression of dark brownish-gray overall, broader wings than Prairie/Peregrine Falcon, giving it a robust look. Never seen anything like it. Wish my little camera could have captured something useful from the distance we saw it. I stuck around to see if it would come back so I could get a photo. When the 11:20 "Gyrfalcon" flyover happened, I frantically tried to take some photos, which showed that the 11:20 flyover was in fact a Prairie Falcon.


Sorry to burst the bubble for the birders who were standing there with me at 11:20 and thought they had the Gyrfalcon! I know those who were there wanted to see the photos once I got them downloaded, but I can't seem to upload my photos here, so please see the Gyrfalcon thread on the CO RBA Facebook page.



On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 12:34:25 PM UTC-7, Sarah Spotten wrote:
Gyrfalcon just flew over a group of five of us on Trilby Road just west of Taft Hill Rd near the heading south toward the Coyote Ridge Open Space. I got some terrible photos, which I will post when I get a chance. Will cross-post this to the CO RBA Facebook.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/f414f206-3c5b-40f0-bdae-e8f9c482d9ad%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment