Sunday 24 June 2018

Re: [cobirds] Robin and Black-headed Grosbeak songs

Bob,

My wife and I had a similar experience also in RMNP at nearby Hollowell Park on an evening walk in early June.  There were many Robins in the ponderosa pines uphill from the trail singing, and one was doing a very Black-headed Grosbeak-like song.  There were also some Black-headed Grosbeaks around, mostly in the willows down by the stream, but some flying up to the ponderosas.  It is interesting to speculate whether hearing Grosbeaks singing influences song development in nearby Robins.

Jim Nelson

Bethesda, Maryland


On 6/23/2018 6:30 PM, Bob Righter wrote:

Was I hearing the song from a Robin or was it from a Black-headed Grosbeak?


I usually associate the song of the Black-headed Grosbeak as being patterned like a Robin but embellished with various toots, whistles, and slurred notes, delivered at slightly faster tempo. The Grosbeak's song is sometimes referred to as sounding like a revved up Robin.


On the east side of Moraine Park, in RMNP, I heard a song emanating from a spruce-fir-ponderosa habitat, that to me sounded like a typical Black-headed Grosbeak's song. However wherever I looked in the direction of the song all I could see were Robins.


From a patch of willows that were adjacent to the conifers I heard and saw a Black-headed Grosbeak singing.  Shortly it flew to a Douglas-fir limb and continued singing for a short time.


What was I to think?  Do Robins really have that range of song diversity to sound like a Black-headed Grosbeak, could Robins and Blacked Grosbeaks mimic each other's song, like individuals from other songbird families, or was I just hearing an odd, revved up Robin singing?I'm inclined to believe I was hearing a revved up Robin that coincidently was in the same neighborhood as the Black-headed Grosbeak.


That's why birding is fun—one never knows where the next birding dilemma will occur.


If any one would like to hear the recording I obtained, let me know as I'd be delighted to send a copy, but it wouldn't be until next week, as I have to download the file to the computer, which is in Denver.


Bob Righter

Denver, CO



Sent from my iPad
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/E3D52789-F341-40F4-84ED-0FF3D2682A3A%40earthlink.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment