Saturday 23 June 2018

[cobirds] Robin and Black-headed Grosbeak songs

Was I hearing the song from a Robin or was it from a Black-headed Grosbeak?


I usually associate the song of the Black-headed Grosbeak as being patterned like a Robin but embellished with various toots, whistles, and slurred notes, delivered at slightly faster tempo. The Grosbeak's song is sometimes referred to as sounding like a revved up Robin.


On the east side of Moraine Park, in RMNP, I heard a song emanating from a spruce-fir-ponderosa habitat, that to me sounded like a typical Black-headed Grosbeak's song. However wherever I looked in the direction of the song all I could see were Robins.


From a patch of willows that were adjacent to the conifers I heard and saw a Black-headed Grosbeak singing.  Shortly it flew to a Douglas-fir limb and continued singing for a short time.


What was I to think?  Do Robins really have that range of song diversity to sound like a Black-headed Grosbeak, could Robins and Blacked Grosbeaks mimic each other's song, like individuals from other songbird families, or was I just hearing an odd, revved up Robin singing?I'm inclined to believe I was hearing a revved up Robin that coincidently was in the same neighborhood as the Black-headed Grosbeak.


That's why birding is fun—one never knows where the next birding dilemma will occur.


If any one would like to hear the recording I obtained, let me know as I'd be delighted to send a copy, but it wouldn't be until next week, as I have to download the file to the computer, which is in Denver.


Bob Righter

Denver, CO



Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment