Saturday 16 June 2018

[cobirds] Jeffco- Dickcissel, Grasshopper yes, Great Egret?

Following the excellent directions of Eric and subsequently Joe, I trekked across the prairie along Plainview Road and easily found the dickcissel, singing from the lone cottonwood. Ebird lets me know when a bird is reported that I have not seen in various locations, and it had alerted me to the reported grasshopper sparrow here. I intended to wander around looking for one, but the thunderstorm rapidly approaching from the west quickly disabused me of that notion. Not wishing to become birder fricassee on the alter of a county bird, I scooted back to the car, making it just ahead of the rain. Oh well, all was not lost- to my surprise, eBird also informed that I did not have great egret for the county. One had been reported to the east, so I headed north, incorrectly directed by GPS to take that route to my next stop. So, I turned around and headed back down Plainview toward Highway 72. When I got back to the dickcissel parking lot, who should be perched on the fence but Mr. (or Ms.) Grasshopper Sparrow. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Since the rain had passed, I moseyed (I have never attempted to type "moseyed" before, but spellcheck apparently likes it) back down the road and found this little stretch to be quite pleasant and very productive. A few minutes of birding added a few goodies like mountain bluebird, chat, spotted towhee, a variety of swallows, house wren, Brewer's blackbird and others. Nice little spot that I had never visited. Once again, Cobirds produces great results.
OK then, one down, one to go! Let's go get the great egret reported from 80th and Indiana.
I ended up on Indiana, went south past 80th, and there on the west side of the road was a small pond, and - kaching! - a great egret perched on a dock. Birding really shouldn't be this easy.
Wait a minute.
Better recheck that egret. 
Fighting some really nasty traffic, I found a turnaround and headed back, risking life and limb by pulling off the road across from the egret.
Plastic. But I have to admit that it looked pretty damned good at thirty miles per hour.
So, if you were looking to pick up your Jeffco great egret at this location, I would recommend trying elsewhere.....

Norm Lewis
Lakewood


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/1640ade45a1-c8d-214bc%40webjas-vad195.srv.aolmail.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment