Tuesday 27 March 2018

[cobirds] Larimer various places on 3/27

Highlights from various places around Larimer County today 3/37:


North Shields Ponds Natural Area

Common Grackle (2)

Double-crested Cormorant (2)

Lincoln's Sparrow (1)

Hairy Woodpecker (mountain form)

Red Crossbill (5, sounded like Type 2) in the tops of spruce in private yards just north of the NA and in cottonwood for while  (first birds I heard going out the door from my apartment about a mile east of CSU campus this morning were Red Crossbills (4, also in spruce, also sounded like Type 2s) so, combined with David Suddjian's report and perhaps others, something was going on today with crossbill movements).


Watson Lake Fish Hatchery (escarpment to the east of the north end)

Golden Eagle (1)

White-throated Swift (3) FOY for me


Rist Canyon (top of small mountain burned in High Park Fire north of the road between mileposts 15 and 16)

Western Bluebird  (at least 5) FOY for me

Mountain Bluebird (at least 4)

Pasqueflower in bloom (FOY for me)


Also, I am hesitant because of being premature about this once already, but I believe the Red-necked Grebe is gone from Sheldon Lake at City Park.  I looked twice yesterday and twice today.  IF its last day was 2/25, it had a known stay of 26 days.


Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins


No comments:

Post a Comment