Thursday 29 June 2017

[cobirds] Cordilleran Flycatcher ,Jefferson County

Hi all,


After reading Karen's and David's posts about Cordilleran nest dates I remembered 2, different things. One, the Cordilleran Flycatchers which nested at a cabin I used to visit, made a nest under the cabin roof on a ledge. This cabin elevation was around 8200 feet. The  nest was usually finished close to July 10-13. This was Lodgepole Pine Habitat.


Number two, I had a pair of Cordilleran nest in 2015, under the roof ledge of my HOUSE, in Littleton. I was shocked when I heard the birds calling back and forth  in my backyard the time of  June 15th. I got to watch the Female take shredded bark off of one of my trees, and then she placed it under the house ledge on top of a water drain spout. The nest was pretty much finished by June 20. I then had my bad fall and was away from the house for 2, weeks. When I got back to my house, the Flycatchers were no where to be seen. I asked my gardener in mid August if she could climb my ladder to see if there was anything in the nest. To my surprise, she said there were 2 eggs. Her photo showed them to be Cordilleran Flycatcher eggs.


2015 was a crazy summer and I forgot to post the above info. Sorry! This elevation seems pretty LOW to me for Cordilleran. I am one block away from Denver County , close to Fort Logan Cemetary. I do not know what happened to the Flycatchers. I have 1 Cooper's Hawk which spends every day in my yard [in the summer]  kak, kak,, kaking, at the Great Horned Owls which reside in my yard.


Happy Birding!

Tina Jones

4400 Bow Mar Dr.

Littleton, CO, Jefferson County

No comments:

Post a Comment