Thursday 29 May 2014

[cobirds] Lesser Nighthawk continues, Montrose

Hi folks,

Although I'm completely missing out on the remarkable migration season on the east slope this year because of west slope field work, I partially made up for it by seeing the (dare I say) regularly recurring LESSER NIGHTHAWK in Nucla, Montrose County. Thanks to Coen Dexter and Brenda Wright whom I met up with, I was able to both get great views of the bird in a timely manner and have excellent company while I did so. It was a Colorado lifer for me all the same and I'm very appreciative of the reports of this species over the years. In fact, it was the report by Coen of this bird in Nucla last year at this time that inspired me to angle for getting SW Colorado survey transects with my RMBO work for this season, just so I'd be in place to look for this bird if/when it reappeared again.

The bird does indeed make its appearance right around 8:20pm by the ag ponds along 5th Ave just west of town. The wrinkle for today as Coen related to me was that today was the frist day this year that he and Brenda had seen Common Nighthawks at the location as well. This provided me with excellent comparison opportunities between the male Lesser and the 8-10 or so Commons that were coursing aggressively over the ponds for all manner of insects.

I plan on searching other SW Colorado ponds and reservoirs in the next few weeks for other Lessers that may be lurking in the state and going unrecorded.

I should add that no playback was used to attract or discombobulate the bird, which is too bad because this species makes some really cool sounds that are fun to listen to. I did however ruthlessly slaughter many biting insects that were attempting to feast on my blood during the early evening. So sorry about that.

Eric DeFonso
(usually Boulder, but currently Cortez), CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/4d521eee-e7be-4d56-8685-7f10d893f95e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment